Tuesday, March 20, 2007

2 of 2 posts today - how come nobody ever accuses me of being cool?

I still cringe when I think back to Sunday afternoon.

I was with the *Oilers Fan* window shopping when I saw it. Sitting all pretty in the window of a used bookstore. The book of my dreams for 12.99!!!!

I run in, have a few moments with said book, stroking it, feeling it, loving it and squealing with delight. Feeling a little bit stupid I try to explain my loser behaviour to the *Oilers Fan*. My finding this book, for this price, is the equivalent of her finding a brand new *insert name of some stupid overpriced car here* for about 10 bucks!

You think I would have stopped there. But NOOOOOOOOOOOoooo sitting in her car - still giddy - I had to read her the first part of one of the short stories and tell her just how awesome the story was about some grandmother inventing steering wheel covers for her husband because she worried about him having a bad accident if his mittened hands slipped off the wheel of his car in the winter … the first covers for him were crocheted … aw so sweet and *sigh*, such a sweet love … blah blah blah … I blather on and on and on ...

… yes… you read that right… I read it, out loud.

I know you are thinking, it cannot get any worse, I have sunk to the loser depths of hell … there is no further down to go ... but wait a minute …

It gets worse.

I actually held the book up, took off the paper cover and hold up the hard cover prize I have found underneath and actually say “Wont this look pretty on my bookshelf, I have just the spot for it!”

As I type this, I just want to crawl under my desk in shame.

Yep, it is a wonder I have ever gotten any in my life.

For those of you who actually give a crap - I found:

the collected short stories of Carol Shields, in hardcover, for 12.99! 12.99! =)

I’m still smiling.

It is these little things that get you through the hard stuff.

And I am ok with being a loser.

2 comments:

MARFSBABY said...

Yur funny girl... not wierd at all (as my eyeballs roll around in my head. I definately don't get the book obsession but if it's anything like the one I have for myself and lipgloss I totaly understand.

Enjoy the new read.

Anonymous said...

I get the same way everytime I come across 'The Favorite Game' by Leonard Cohen. Giddy, like you've found an old friend.
Brenda