Thursday, March 22, 2007

my homeless guy

Since August I have faithfully stood in line every workday morning at the McDonalds at Library Square to purchase my first love ... the "McGriddle". Like Jasmine, I am an odd creature of habit and this is my morning one - McGriddles, two glasses of water and my vitamins. *Sigh* I wish this was my only little 'routine'!

(You can all chastise me via the comments section on my poor eating habits, or alternatively, tell me how sexy I look despite the little McGriddles problem. I would prefer (and encourage) the latter!)

This particular McDonalds is always full of homeless guys. They receive vouchers from the government for their breakfasts. And because it is an everyday thing (seriously everyday) I've gotten to chitchatting with them once in awhile.

Anyways, back to my story.

About two weeks ago in the lineup my phone started singing to me because someone I know was texting me a lovely good morning message (*smile*) and one of the younger guys asked me if I wanted a cellphone case for my pretty little phone. Ok, he didn't say pretty, I made that up. But it is pretty. Thank you very much Chico for my pretty phone, it is now an opening line for me to meet homeless boys.

ANYWAYS. He said he got rid of his phone (how he could afford this one I dont know) and could he please give me the case he used for his. Sure, yes, thank you very much! Wow, that is very generous ... etc. etc. etc.

He seemed very pleased with himself and I left McDonalds wondering how such a young, not terribly bad looking guy ends up homeless, hanging out at McDonalds using vouchers for breakfast. I could hazard a guess but will leave it at that.

ANYWAYS. I love writing that. Lets see how many times I can write ANYWAYS in this entry ...

anyways...

I have not seen him since.

I literally (I use this word to make Chico's teeth itch) saw him every day for months and now no sight of him for almost two weeks. Two people actually decided that the little bubble I live in should be burst and told me that maybe he was giving away all his worldly belongings so that he could - well, dammit I wont even write that - it made me sad!

So I started asking around about him today. Picture this - me all dressed pretty for work - enquiring as to the whereabouts of some young homeless guy - well, if that isn't a conversation starter for thirty homeless guys, nothing is. Everybody had an idea or a suggestion on how I could track down this guy. GEEZ, I just wanted to buy him breakfast, not marry him! =)

ANYWAYS (this is the last one). Word on the street (literally!) is that he got his own place! That is so great. I hope this means he has found work. I am so very, very pleased to hear that he is off the streets. Kudos to you young homeless guy. That made me smile this morning.

That and the fact that I can now call about thirty other homeless guys of various ages my friend. No one's going to mess with me at Library Square! ha!
_________________________

2 comments:

MARFSBABY said...

You being the odd creature of habbit that you are is exactly why you don't annoy the shit out of me... I love that you are as retentive as I am. I also love that you have such a kind heart and that you're so positive and happy lateley. Again, if I were to switch directions I'd be all over ya girl.

KellyNerd said...

Miss Jasmine ... do not tease a girl smack in the middle of "Spring Fever" about switching sides! haha, damn your boyfriend ... just kidding, he's lovely - for a guy! =))))